Apathy, arrogance and rudeness.....the plight of the modern age.



Well, not sure how many that makes now, it would be too depressing to sit and think about the actual number, but just had to send another "Take care, all the best" email to another young man. It's becoming near routine and it gives me no pleasure to have to do so, but there is no time to waste on someone that is just not on the same page as me. Doesn't seem to matter how plainly I put the ad out, or how plainly and simply I communicate on any subsequent exchange; ie. MSN, email, txt. they (and yes, I am generalizing, but you would too if you'd been through as many as I have)don't seem to be improving any, in character, in person, nothing. Same old, same old. It also doesn't seem to matter how low I set my expectations, someone will come along that will cause me to be more disappointed.

Take Kevin "the artist" as an example of pure arrogance that is utterly undeserved. It's one thing to be honest, sincere and even perhaps a bit outspoken, but this kid took it to a whole new level. I just had to meet him in person, if for no other reason than to confirm my initial instincts, and in that and only that aspect, he did not disappoint.
I can't remember that last time I was in the company of someone, and the only thought in my head for the duration was "are you kiddin' me?" And this did not happen only in person, his online exchanges were not much better.
"I have to warn you, I am a pick-up artist, not a player, but an artist." Can't begin to imagine what he picks up with lines like that. And perhaps that attitude goes over well with young insecure girls, but you play that with me, someone not just old enough to be your mother, but experienced in life enough to smell your pathetic little boy insecurities coming from a mile down the road, and it's no wonder I couldn't take being in his company one more minute. The tartufo was excellent though, I do admit.

Or Kay, who can't rouse himself enough to have a conversation, contribute in anyway meaningful way or bring anything to the in person exchange. Tired of people who talk a good game online, but are apathetic in person. Dull as dishwater, no thanks, I could be washing my hair. But did enjoy the chicken pizza.

Should I bother mentioning Joe Joe, who can't even learn from his mistakes, or Scott who in three email exchanges managed to reduce me to a pair of mammary glands, some cuddle buddy they would make. I couldn't work up the curiosity to meet these two in person, like many others, they turned me off electronically.

Then there are those that all but eliminate themselves, when the smallest amount of logic is applied. By that I mean, those that say they are interested in the friendship I am offering, yes, they claim, they are affectionate and good cuddlers, but go on to tell me how busy they are with work and/or school and basically how they have no free time. So when I apply a little common sense and ask them how they figure this friendship can ever start, nevermind flourish, they suffer some kind of disconnect, the phone is ringing, someone is at the door, etc. etc. etc. It's laughable.

And on and on it goes, they all talk a good game, they say they like that the ad is simple and direct, blah blah blah, and within 3 emails or 2 MSN chats, manage to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding about what I am looking for.
If there should be some rare occurrence where that doesn't happen, and we manage to get some basics out of the way, break the ice and so on, well, it somehow turns into a booty call. Friendship just isn't as easy as it might have been, or perhaps it's just me. That's possible too. Because when I say cuddle, I don't mean sex, when I say friendship, I don't mean sex, when I say dinner, yes, I don't mean sex.

Well, at least I have now perfected my time saving process of elimination, and I have discovered where some of the best spots to dine in town are, so that when the company turns out to be another disappointment, I at least have enjoyed a decent meal.
See? There's always an upside to every situation.